In November, I reviewed the first single from John Legend's new album, "Get Lifted". The entire album is out now (Dec 28 - already Amazon #37), and measures up admirably to the single, "Used To Love You".
The album has fourteen songs, with the iTunes verson featuring only nine - but what songs they are. Each one lingers like a glass of fine wine, and dwells on simple things, with gentle harmonies, easy beats and a smooth voice. One song, "Number One" features Kanye West, who has also written and produced many of the songs for this album. My favorite song, apart from "Used To Love You" is "Ordinary People", a light love song on piano, where John talks about taking it slow in a relationship because we are just ordinary people. Nothing complex, but meaningful. According to John, the song is, "real, a composite of experiences. It's about love, not as a fantasy or fairytale, but as it really goes down between two people."
"Refuge (When It's Cold Outside)" is a soulful ballad, while "Live It Up" has a faster beat. In short, John displays admirable range, well supported by good lyrics.
The album resonates with influences from Talib Kweli, Kanye West et al, and refreshes soul music, without destroying the essence of the style. His own experiences and exposure to music in Philadelphia and elsewhere permeate the album. Thematically, love and the need for the other to understand the self are the underlying themes on most of the songs, from the title track to the doo-wop "I Can Change". The artist's site is a nice one too, with a backing soundtrack, and a piano room with behind the scenes versions of the songs.
Worthy of repeated listening, and a portent of great things from this fine artist, "Get Lifted" is a good, well-produced album. John Legend will be on tour early next year, beginning with a show in Washington, DC.
- ► 2010 (23)
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (302)
- Disaster Relief
- Milwaukee Winter Images
- States Of Fear, Bad Science And Perceptions Of Rea...
- Another Loss To The Wave
- Getflics: The Royal Scam
- John Legend's "Get Lifted"
- The Endangered Tribes Of The Andamans
- Stradivarius, Brimstone And All That Good Stuff
- Wolves In The City
- The Hookie Awards - I (The Best Essays Of The Year...
- Media Sources
- Ardent Dell Fan
- Presents For Self
- Grammy Nominees 2004
- We The People
- Zeitgeist: Over-hyped stuff from 2004
- Top Technology Trends 2005
- Fans pay tribute to Dimebag Darrell
- Server Operators And The Media
- Bad Sex Awards - Tom Wolfe has the Right Stuff
- Huff's Inner Demons
- Top 10 lists
- The Biggest Reading Disappointments Of The Year
- Weblog Awards
- The Best Books Of 2004
- Only The Lonely
- Dimebag Darrell Tribute Video
- Phil Anselmo comments on Diamond Darrell
- The 10000th Visitor
- Sherlockian Annotations
- The Incredible Lightness Of Being
- Phil Anselmo on Dimebag Darrell
- Ebay Stuff
- Bad Images - The Worst Films Of 2004
- Diamond Darrell - R.I.P.
- Dimebag Darrell - Guitarist of DamagePlan killed
- Game Crimes
- Vote For Wonders
- Milwaukee Road - Way Outta Line
- Goodbye To Lenin And All That Jazz
- Review: Careful What You Wish For
- Eclectic Curiosities
- The Librarian And The Lost Spear
- Mixed Media
- The Cost Of Freedom
- The Firebrand And Freedom
- Saturday Funnies
- The Great Bloviator and Missing Posts
- Enemies Of The State
- Cooking Up Peace
- Blog This Space
- Top Tubes
- Love Thy Neighbor
- The Spin Zone
- Malaysia / Pahang
- Day By Day
- Popular Words
- Shopping Around
- ▼ December (61)