A tippling Eddie Van Halen and former Ozzy Osbourne guitar player Zakk Wylde traded anecdotes about Abbott in front of three large video screens that carried images of the departed star, 38, who continued to call Texas home even after winning international renown with Pantera.
Van Halen put his cellphone up to the microphone and played a message that Abbott had left him recently. The center went silent. Abbott told Van Halen how much he admired him and was glad to have had a chance to work with him.
Many of the musicians and entertainment figures paid their respects at Arlington services earlier in the day.
"They had him dressed exactly as you would find him on stage," said comedian Mark Britten, who attended the services. He said Abbott was laid out in camouflage shorts with a yellow-and-black guitar that Van Halen had given him. "As bad as it is, he had a very good send off."
.......Vinnie Paul Abbott took the stage and pulled a life-size cutout of his brother close to him. Darrell Abbott gave his heart to everyone, his brother said. "He went down doing something he loved; he loved playing guitar."
"The brightest star in Texas is shining tonight. That's my brother Dimebag. Give it up."
The fans erupted.
Wednesday, December 15, 2004
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram provides an excellent report on the public memorial service to Dimebag Darrell.
Posted by Aaman Lamba at 7:16 AM
- ► 2010 (23)
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (173)
- ► 2005 (302)
- Disaster Relief
- Milwaukee Winter Images
- States Of Fear, Bad Science And Perceptions Of Rea...
- Another Loss To The Wave
- Getflics: The Royal Scam
- John Legend's "Get Lifted"
- The Endangered Tribes Of The Andamans
- Stradivarius, Brimstone And All That Good Stuff
- Wolves In The City
- The Hookie Awards - I (The Best Essays Of The Year...
- Media Sources
- Ardent Dell Fan
- Presents For Self
- Grammy Nominees 2004
- We The People
- Zeitgeist: Over-hyped stuff from 2004
- Top Technology Trends 2005
- Fans pay tribute to Dimebag Darrell
- Server Operators And The Media
- Bad Sex Awards - Tom Wolfe has the Right Stuff
- Huff's Inner Demons
- Top 10 lists
- The Biggest Reading Disappointments Of The Year
- Weblog Awards
- The Best Books Of 2004
- Only The Lonely
- Dimebag Darrell Tribute Video
- Phil Anselmo comments on Diamond Darrell
- The 10000th Visitor
- Sherlockian Annotations
- The Incredible Lightness Of Being
- Phil Anselmo on Dimebag Darrell
- Ebay Stuff
- Bad Images - The Worst Films Of 2004
- Diamond Darrell - R.I.P.
- Dimebag Darrell - Guitarist of DamagePlan killed
- Game Crimes
- Vote For Wonders
- Milwaukee Road - Way Outta Line
- Goodbye To Lenin And All That Jazz
- Review: Careful What You Wish For
- Eclectic Curiosities
- The Librarian And The Lost Spear
- Mixed Media
- The Cost Of Freedom
- The Firebrand And Freedom
- Saturday Funnies
- The Great Bloviator and Missing Posts
- Enemies Of The State
- Cooking Up Peace
- Blog This Space
- Top Tubes
- Love Thy Neighbor
- The Spin Zone
- Malaysia / Pahang
- Day By Day
- Popular Words
- Shopping Around
- ▼ December (61)