Alex Tew literally has a million dollar homepage.
He has been selling ad space on this webpage in 10x10 pixel blocks for a dollar per pixel. He is doing this for no reason other than to not have to take out student loans, send his parents on holiday, and get a decent pair of socks. The usual cabal of shysters and gimballed inhabitants of the Internets like poker sites, car salesmen and dating services has snapped up space for no reason other than because it is there. The site is ostensibly marketed as a time capsule for the Internet. He has seen an Alexa rank of upto 127, a Google PageRank of 7, and much publicity.
As part of this gimmick, he is now auctioning the last 1000 pixels on eBay UK, open only to pre-registered bidders. Bidding is up to approximately $1825 and there are nine days left in the auction.
Various imitators have sprung up in this hopefully short-lived genre of internet publicity. Altruistic critics opine that this could be an innovative way of raising money for worthwhile causes like poverty, hunger, or dinner with Paris Hilton. One man's meat is another's poison, and as the history of advertising proves, if one builds a billboard, it will be sold.
Technically speaking, advertisers are buying less than a pixel each. Since most browsers will be visiting with their phasers set to stun, and their resolution at between 800x600 and 1024x768, the most common set of pixels visible will be between 480000 and 786432. Thus some of the advertisers will be squeezed into a smaller space. Further, as most people who have bought a digital camera know, a megapixel is the unit of measurement, which is commonly considered one million pixels, although it is actually 1048576 pixels. A relevant essay is "A Pixel Is Not A Little Square" by Microsoftie and graphics pioneer Alvy Ray Smith.
If you've got a penny, I can sell you a pixel on my web-page. I promise to nurture it. That pixel could be worth at least two dozen CNN pixels in a few years.
- ► 2010 (23)
- ► 2007 (110)
- Google China - Don't Be Too Evil
- Google Launches Search Website For Sri Lanka
- Bangalore or ಬೆಂಗಳೂರು.?
- Desicritics.org is now live
- Desicritics.org is now live
- Leonine, San Francisco Zoo
- Project Management - Dilbert
- How to Mail Merge with Microsoft Word and Excel
- The Right Way To Peel Bananas
- The Tastes Of Memory
- Why I Hate Sports
- 2006: A Good Year For Animated Films
- Desipundit Auctions Indibloggies Prizes
- Those New Cell Phones Will Kill You
- Is there a difference between Blogging and Writing...
- Prosecutors Raid Livedoor, Major Japanese Portal, ...
- Plane Luck
- Interesting site - The US Of Islam
- The Dream Continues
- Resolutions Of The Zeitgeist
- G I V I N G. Badami
- Democracy In Emergency
- My Darling Clementine
- I'm A Programmer, Not A Computer Guy
- Morning rays
- W A T E R. Hampi
- Kim Checks Out China - North Korea In Transition
- Firefox popups working again - problem solved
- Urban Monotony in Amman
- The Middle East - Changing Of The Guard
- Call Center - Dilbert
- Most Appropriate Boobies Link Ever - Adrianne Curr...
- Firefox popups not working
- The Rites of Spring
- Indibloggies 2005
- Where is Jesus
- Warren Ellis' FELL #1 - Available Online
- I Love Google Video
- The Blogger's Dictionary
- Tibet - The Next Frontier?
- Elvis has left the Building
- Ahmad Kazemi, Top Iranian Commander Killed In Plan...
- Kunwar Narain, Hindi Poet
- The Starbucks Short Cappucino
- Desicritics.org Launch
- Ariel Sharon - The Clouds Gather
- Press Mentions - Aaman Lamba
- Film Reviews
- Energy Wars: Russia Settles Ukraine Gas Dispute
- Strange Timestamping
- Anderson Cooper Never Sleeps
- Tragic Update: Only One Miner Is Alive, Twelve Dea...
- Twelve W. Va. Miners Found Alive
- The New Seven Wonders Shortlist Announced
- The Blogosphere - Echo Chamber Or Incubator?
- Energy Wars - The Russian Natural Gas Crisis
- Science Fiction Worth Reading
- Chris Muir's Cartoons - America's common man
- A Miilion Dollars Worth Of Pixels
- The Onion's Top Ten Stories of 2005
- Watergate - The Blog
- Burritos, Hunger, and Taurean Men
- Narnia And Faux News - WTO Talks
- Writing, Freedom And Cory Doctorow
- Performancing For Firefox - Blogging Plugin
- Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia video torrent
- ▼ January (67)
- ► 2005 (302)