My Dell DJ has been a good, not great product. Since I got it (My previous review of the Dell DJ), I have switched between MusicMatch and Windows Media Player. This required an upgrade of the firmware to 2.11.04 with the PlaysForSure version, and cuts out usage of the MusicMatch Jukebox. The sound quality is good, but I began to have some problems with the LCD going blank.
The screen would go blank and fail to come on even after a soft reset (insert a pin or toothpick into the hole at the base). A couple of times, it would come back on, but the characters would be reveresed, or corrupted. When I tried to sync, it would show the sync image correctly.
I was able to continue using it only because I could mentally scroll through the menu to the "Play All Music Tracks" option, but it was more than frustrating. I called Dell, dreading the interminable wait times. The IVR system put me through the hoops before placing me in the Dell Axim (PDA) queue, although I entered the correct service tag. Good-bye.
I next tried the Chat support. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the software they use is from a company I was product manager with, way back when in the boom. The chat support was much better - after confirming the problem, and asking me to run a few tests, they created an RMA and told me they were shipping out a replacement.
The replacement arrived yesteday. I have to set up a pickup with Airborne and have the pick-up slip signed by the driver. I wanted to format the old Dell DJ before sending it back, but couldn't quite figure out how to access the menu on the device. Finally, I resorted to reloading an older version of the firmware, which flashed the memory.
I hope this one does not fail on me - it would be very disappointing.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005
- ► 2010 (23)
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (173)
- Review: Spielberg's "War Of The Worlds"
- Summerfest 2005 - The World's Largest Music Festiv...
- My Dell DJ LCD screen goes blank - the replacemen...
- It's Quiz Time 2!
- Review: Howl's Moving Castle or Hauru no ugoku shi...
- The Mega-bubble ahead?
- Times of India certified largest newspaper in the ...
- Cool service - del.icio.us direc.tor
- Google - Circa 1960
- Quiz Time 2 - test
- Review: String Cheese Incident - One Step Closer
- The AO/Technorati Open Media 100
- Quiz Time
- Cricket - Bangladesh Defeats Australia
- Carnival of the Capitalists citation
- Censored Atom Bomb reports resurface
- Batman Begins - thoughts and reviews
- Blogcritics' Editors' Picks
- Spin Magazine's Rock Lexicon
- Reliance Industries splits - Brothers At Arms
- Google News notices my Batman Begins post
- Batman Begins and The Hegelian Dialectic
- Home Theater Hacks - An essential reference
- CD Review: Audioslave - Out Of Exile
- Sims In The Hood: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ...
- California Court Rules That Borders must charge In...
- Earth-Like Planets and the power of blogcritics
- Michael Jackson trial wraps up
- Classic Albums: Dear 23 - The Posies
- mommy love
- Microsoft brings tabbed browsing to IE 6
- Online Investing Hacks: A Handy Primer
- Build A Complete Library
- Kaiju Big Battel: The truth about monsters
- ▼ June (35)