Microsoft has released the new MSN Toolbar for Internet Explorer. This offers a few excellent features like a powerful desktop search tool and even tabbed browsing for Internet Explorer 6 - so this means users do not have to wait for IE 7.
The Tabbed Browsing feature is quite convenient to use - It can be turned on and off, new tabs can be opened either individually or as a set of new background tabs using QuickTabs. Search results can open in their own tabs. A set of keyboard shortcuts enable easy tab usage - Ctrl+T opens a tab, Ctrl+Tab switches between open tabs. The context menu has options to open a link as a new tab, either in the background or foreground.
The Desktop Search is quite powerful and fast. It indexes files, emails, attachments and enables you to query them on the fly. The complete list of file-types supported is quite extensive. Add-ins exist to provide in-depth searches in PDFs, zip files, etc. There is an API to write new add-ins, if you're so inclined. The iFilter developer forum is active and easy to browse.
A Deskbar gives you the search functionality outside the browser. The results open a new browser window. Additional options on the toolbar include links to MSN Spaces, Hotmail, News and Messenger.
That being said, I am still a huge fan of the A9 toolbar - the neat Diary feature lets me annotate websites for later reference. The form fills, history and lists options provide convenient ways to not have to remember my browsing trail. The A9 search engine, with it's verticalization of search options is the future of searching, I hope. It has enabled my 12-step Google de-addiction program, of which more later.
- ► 2010 (23)
- ► 2007 (110)
- ► 2006 (173)
- Review: Spielberg's "War Of The Worlds"
- Summerfest 2005 - The World's Largest Music Festiv...
- My Dell DJ LCD screen goes blank - the replacemen...
- It's Quiz Time 2!
- Review: Howl's Moving Castle or Hauru no ugoku shi...
- The Mega-bubble ahead?
- Times of India certified largest newspaper in the ...
- Cool service - del.icio.us direc.tor
- Google - Circa 1960
- Quiz Time 2 - test
- Review: String Cheese Incident - One Step Closer
- The AO/Technorati Open Media 100
- Quiz Time
- Cricket - Bangladesh Defeats Australia
- Carnival of the Capitalists citation
- Censored Atom Bomb reports resurface
- Batman Begins - thoughts and reviews
- Blogcritics' Editors' Picks
- Spin Magazine's Rock Lexicon
- Reliance Industries splits - Brothers At Arms
- Google News notices my Batman Begins post
- Batman Begins and The Hegelian Dialectic
- Home Theater Hacks - An essential reference
- CD Review: Audioslave - Out Of Exile
- Sims In The Hood: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ...
- California Court Rules That Borders must charge In...
- Earth-Like Planets and the power of blogcritics
- Michael Jackson trial wraps up
- Classic Albums: Dear 23 - The Posies
- mommy love
- Microsoft brings tabbed browsing to IE 6
- Online Investing Hacks: A Handy Primer
- Build A Complete Library
- Kaiju Big Battel: The truth about monsters
- ▼ June (35)