Amazon.com is offering a pretty good bundle for any person or institution looking to create a sizeable corpus of fine writing in English. The Penguin Classics Library Complete Collection, exclusive at Amazon.com includes 1082 titles ranging from Homer's Odyssey to Bellow's Herzog, and much, much more. (Complete list by title)
This is a huge stack - laid end to end they would top 52 miles in length, and weigh 700 pounds, so look for a hefty shipping charge (not covered by Amazon Prime, malheuresement). At the same time, they are discounting the list price by about 40%, and you get a great collection of books for about $7 per book.
Much of my childhood reading, and introduction to fine English writing was via Penguin books - they are major publishers in India, and I can remember many fond visits to their central bookstore in Bangalore on M.G. Road.
The children's imprints like Puffin provided introductions to great books like the Narnia series, Watership Down, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and more.
Even today the Penguin and Puffin colophons are enough to bring a smile to my lips and a wistful look to my eyes.
If only this gargantuan collection were covered by Amazon Prime!
- December (11)
- November (12)
- October (9)
- September (21)
- August (18)
- July (9)
- May (4)
- April (4)
- March (17)
- February (2)
- January (3)
- December (1)
- November (4)
- October (6)
- September (16)
- August (22)
- July (1)
- June (2)
- April (5)
- March (29)
- February (20)
- January (67)
- December (23)
- November (18)
- October (10)
- September (4)
- August (65)
- July (38)
- Review: Spielberg's "War Of The Worlds"
- Summerfest 2005 - The World's Largest Music Festiv...
- My Dell DJ LCD screen goes blank - the replacemen...
- It's Quiz Time 2!
- Review: Howl's Moving Castle or Hauru no ugoku shi...
- The Mega-bubble ahead?
- Times of India certified largest newspaper in the ...
- Cool service - del.icio.us direc.tor
- Google - Circa 1960
- Quiz Time 2 - test
- Review: String Cheese Incident - One Step Closer
- The AO/Technorati Open Media 100
- Quiz Time
- Cricket - Bangladesh Defeats Australia
- Carnival of the Capitalists citation
- Censored Atom Bomb reports resurface
- Batman Begins - thoughts and reviews
- Blogcritics' Editors' Picks
- Spin Magazine's Rock Lexicon
- Reliance Industries splits - Brothers At Arms
- Google News notices my Batman Begins post
- Batman Begins and The Hegelian Dialectic
- Home Theater Hacks - An essential reference
- CD Review: Audioslave - Out Of Exile
- Sims In The Hood: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ...
- California Court Rules That Borders must charge In...
- Earth-Like Planets and the power of blogcritics
- Michael Jackson trial wraps up
- Classic Albums: Dear 23 - The Posies
- mommy love
- Microsoft brings tabbed browsing to IE 6
- Online Investing Hacks: A Handy Primer
- Build A Complete Library
- Kaiju Big Battel: The truth about monsters
- May (19)
- April (10)
- March (13)
- February (30)
- January (37)