Sunday, January 01, 2006

Writing, Freedom And Cory Doctorow

Cory Doctorow becomes a full time writer today. As someone who has at least flirted with the thought, it is a tempting one, and scary, as Cory notes. He also talks about the Electronic Frontier Foundation and their role as 'canaries in a coal mine'. He will be a Fellow of the EFF, a role that should see greater involvement in critical e-freedom issues.


So what am I going to be doing now that I don't have a day-job? Well
for starters, I'm going to be getting a full night's sleep every night.
I'm going to stop travelling three weeks a month. I'm going to join the
gym and get the hundred and a half household chores I've neglected
while working three full-time jobs for the past two years done. I'm
going to get a checkup and have my teeth x-rayed. All that overdue
stuff I've put off and put off and put off.


Most importantly, though: I'm going to write. More
blog posts, and longer ones. I have three novellas in the pipe. I'm
tripling the pace of work on Themepunks, my fourth novel, and plan to
have it in the can by early spring. I'm going to do a fix-up novel with
Charlie Stross, completing our "Huw" stories (Jury Service and Appeals
Court) and publishing them between covers. My podcast is going thrice
weekly. I've got articles in production for a bunch of magazines and
websites.

Feel the force! It is strong! The writing force - methinks this muse is the most powerful, or is it Clio? Good luck, Cory.


No comments:

Some Fine Books

Blog Archive